Scroll to top
Shrubs that bloom and shrubs that screenGarden secrets from the wizard of the plum thicket
- The hardiest tree for a compacted sterile soil is Hackberry. It is strong, has an interesting bark when mature and provides good shade. But no interesting foliage colors other than green.
- Kentucky Coffee tree is very sustainable. It is male and female. The female trees have pods. It has great organic shapes and a unique double compound leaf.
- Blaze Maple is our number one selling shade tree. It can be weak wooded at times. It has good fall coloration and likes all kinds of soil types.
- Burr Oak is slow, but once established with a deep tap root will actually catch up in growth to most trees. But Red, Chinkapin, and English Oaks are all great.
- Honeylocusts have a small leaf, are fast growing and strong wooded. A preferred tree because there are no leaves to rake–they are too small.
- Weeping Willow is soft wooded and messy and likes lots of water. It grows well.
- Catalpa provides a large leaf and are a perfect shade tree.
- Ginkgo is as strong a tree as you will find and there is no other tree on the planet with more disease and bug resistance.
- Birch trees are also popular. The most popular birch varieties we carry are Heritage and River.